The safest way to mount and dismount vehicles, equipment, and ladders is to maintain three points of constant contact. That means one hand and two feet, or two hands and one foot – always. Anything less and you’re risking a fall.
Tips for Using the THREE-POINT System
• Always face towards the equipment.
• Get a firm grip on the rails or handles.
• Look for obstacles on the ground before exiting.
• Mount and dismount when the equipment is stopped.
• Break the three-point contact only when you reach the ground, cab, or platform.
• Slow down and take extra care in wet, snowy, or icy weather.
• Avoid wearing loose or torn clothing that can catch on the equipment.
• Wear shoes with good support.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
• Never jump – you may land off balance or on an uneven surface and fall
• Don’t climb down with something in your free hand – put it on the vehicle floor and reach up for it when you get to the ground.
• Don’t use tires or wheel hubs as a step surface.
• Don’t use the door frame or door edge as a handhold.